Multimedia Japanese Learning

Made in DNA brent at beach.ocn.ne.jp
Sat Jan 3 10:47:24 EST 2004

This is the way I learn Japanese every day. Watch TV, movies, news, and
use what I learn by speaking to people. I advocated this method to
university friends learning any language the whole time I was at
CalState Long Beach and still do today when friends ask "how do you
learn/study Japanese?" Easy. I use what I learn. Pick a show you like,
stick with it. Start with something easy. Comedy is something that most
people can understand. Take "notes" on ideas or words you want to learn.
Ask questions of friends who also like the show. Watch it regularly.
Sitcoms in the US are ideal for this. They are short, sweet and to the
point. Seinfeld was a big hit with my non-English speaking friends.

You don't have to use any particular drama or movie, just use ones that
are more down to earth with situations you are likely to use. Ashita Ga
Aru is good for business people, Kinpachi Sensei for students. The
weekly sitcom is not such good method for Japanese learners as they
simply don't exist, but you can adapt your favorite weekly program such
as Music Station. They ask the same repetitive questions over and over.
Only the answers are different. Sometimes not even the answers are
different. =P Watch anything with Downtown if you want to get into
"impolite/dirty/gross" Japanese (love those guys!). Or London Boots if
you want to learn about cheating, sex, lies, and videotape. Much Ado
About Love is perfect for those with martial "problems" or "situations".
You get the idea.

Good luck!
Made in DNA