Multimedia Japanese Learning

Sven Koerber svenkoerber
Mon Jan 5 06:26:10 EST 2004

There is a bunch of books by "Screenplay", all with popular (mostly Hollywood-) films' English scripts on the one side and the Japanese translation and explanations on the other. I bought Guy Richie's "Snatch" (yeah yeah, shame on me ... ) and it is really interesting to learn language with it (unfortunatelly not the language You can use in High Societies, I am afraid ;-).
But I haven't found any books like that about Japanese films, yet. I only know the books accompanying NHK's Japanese learning show "Nihongo de kurasou" and shows like that. They are quite nice, but it would be much more motivating to learn Japanese with the films You like ...

Sven
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mark Nornes
  To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
  Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 7:02 PM
  Subject: Re: Multimedia Japanese Learning

  On Saturday, January 3, 2004, at 10:47  AM, Made in DNA wrote:

  >> I was quite surprised
  >> when I heard about a way to learn English with movies.

  You  might be even more surprised to learn that this form of
  "multimedia" pedagogy goes back to at least the Talkies era. There are
  Japanese textbooks for English that are based on early sound films in
  the 1930s.

  As early as the 1980s, there were also similar books based on
  subtitles, probably more for the widespread obsession with subtitles
  rather than any real pedagogical value.

  Markus