Shuji Terayama

Peter Grilli grilli
Wed Jan 7 10:06:45 EST 2004

Andrew Grant:

You're right.  Terayams's films are much too little seen in the US, and much
too little has been written in English about them.

You may find some interesting material about him through the La Mama
experimental theater in New York, where "Tenjo Sajiki" performed (at least
once, but perhaps twice) in the late 1970s-early 80s.  La Mama's visionary
director, Ellen Stewart, was quite close to Terayama, and she arranged an
extraordinary memorial service for him at La Mama shortly after his death.
Excerpts from several of his films were shown at that event.  (I remember
that during the screening of one of his early experimental short films, the
projector kept getting stuck or skipping at several key spots -- leading
everyone to think that Terayama's ghoulish spirit was in the theater,
cutting up and having fun with us!)
Ellen may have kept clippings, reviews, etc. in her personal files or in
LaMama's files.  Write to her at:
La Mama E.T.C.
74-A East 4th Street
New York, NY 10003
Tel: 212-475-7710
http://www.lamama.org

"Den'en ni Shisu"  (Pastoral) was shown at the NY FIlm Festival (I forger
the year -- must have been around 1979 or 80), and you might also find some
information by contacting the
Film Society of Lincoln Center (which sponsors the Festival) at
70 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York, NY 10024.

Good luck!

Peter Grilli