Twilight nomination

Eija Niskanen emniskanen
Tue Jan 27 20:40:50 EST 2004

Yes, but if I remember rightly, Ran ended up getting an Oscar best costume design (Emi Wada).

  Kurosawa was nominted Best Director for Ran, I think.

  Jim.

  Peter Grilli <grillI at us-japan.org> wrote:
    Aaron,
    I may be wrong about this (ie, there may have been more recent Japanese
    films nominated for Best Picture Oscars), but I think it may have been
    Kurosawa's RAN -- produced in 1985, nominated in 1986.

    Peter Grilli

    -----Original Message-----
    From: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
    [mailto:owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu]On Behalf Of Aaron
    Gerow
    Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 8:51 AM
    To: KineJapan
    Subject: Twilight nomination

    The nominations for the Academy Awards were announced and, beyond a
    best supporting actor nomination for Watanabe Ken (The Last Samurai),
    Yamada Yoji's Twilight Samurai (Tasogare Seibei) was also nominated for
    best foreign film. A bit of a surprise given that it's a film from
    2002, but things seem to move slowly in these parts. Can anyone say
    what was the last Japanese f ilm to be nominated for the best picture
    Oscar?

    Aaron Gerow
    KineJapan owner

    Assistant Professor
    Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
    Yale University

    For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
    listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
    Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html

  BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save ?80