film about red army

Nohchool Park onlypark at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 11 00:29:12 EDT 2004

Hi, all.

I am Nohchool Park at the University of Kansas. Does anybody have any
information on Japanese film about red army (Sekkigun) in the 1970s or
student movements in the 1960s? I am actually undertaking a research on how
the student movements in the 60s and 70s in Japan influenced on the content
and style of the films in the following generation. I suppose there must
have been a gap between old stylists such as Kurosawa and Mizoguzi, and the
post-60s directors like Imamura Shohei and Oshima Nagisa. Did the latter
directors ever critically reevaluated the older generation just as French
new wave directors dismissed their "Papa's films" as "a certain tendency"?

I heard that Oshima Nagisa made a film titled "Night and Fog in Tokyo" which
depicts the 60s' student movement in Japan. Any information about the films
and texts concerning the above topic will be of great help to me.

Have a good summer!