on the ring remake

Christine Marran marran at umn.edu
Wed Jun 23 01:52:41 EDT 2004

As I recall, the video in the Ringu was more interesting because not
every image of the video was explained; whereas the American version was
very careful to explain every piece of the video which seemed uncreative
to me.  The video itself seemed more curious, more bizarre in the
original.  Also the sound effects on the American version were
annoying...the film relied heavily on "spooky whooshing sounds" (it
sounded like FOX TV football game to me).  But mostly for me it was the
inclusion of the "family values" and the "romantic interest" (will the
couple get back together?!) that bothered me. It seemed gratuitous and
included to draw in as large an audience as possible.
I did like the apartment scene though where you see everyone watching tv
from outside the building -- maybe an obvious scene to do but well
executed nevertheless.

Christine

--
Christine L. Marran
Asst. Professor of Japanese Literature and Cultural Studies