blanket ignorance

Hammill Matthew mjh47ronin at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 28 23:20:31 EDT 2004

This is my first post so I'll say a bit about myself.  I have lived in
Japan for about 4 years now.  I spent three years living in Iwate-ken on
the JET Program.  (Ichinohe-cho, to be exact, although I kind of doubt
whether too many people have heard of it!)
I am now in Sendai studying Japanese full time and gearing up for the
nouryoku shiken 1kyuu in December.  (kind of annoying how this test is only
offered once a year)
My interests are literature and film.  I tend to like the classics,
obviously Ozu and Kurosawa.

I also noticed that statement and was kind of surprised there was little
response at first.  I wouldn't want to be part of any kind of PC
overreaction, but I am glad that people have pointed out the absurd
stereotyping at work in that statement.  I can kind of see the childish
sterotype as some of my former students were quite naive and childish for
their age, but I think that had more to do with living in the deep inaka
than their Japaneseness.  As far as being theatrical, whatever that means
as a personality trait, I don't get that at all.  The stereotype of
Japanese is usually that they are more reserved or less likely to show
emotion.  This is also an inaccurate sterotype, as anyone with enkai
experience (or the nijikai) could tell you!

i look forward to reading more of everyone's messages and if you are ever
in Sendai give me a mail.

thanks

Matt