Zigeunerweisen article / Doppelganger / Cutey Honey

M Arnold ma_iku
Wed Jun 9 23:46:46 EDT 2004

Rachel Dinitto has an article on Zigeunerweisen in the new Journal of
Japanese Studies (30:1). "Translating Prewar Culture into Film: The Double
Vision of Suzuki Seijun's Zigeunerweisen." It's nice to find such an
interesting article on the film, especially since there's so little written
on it in English. I had one question though--I'm sure that Zigeunerweisen,
as well as Kageroza and Yumeji, were available on VHS well before the recent
DVD releases. Does anyone know when the first videos came out?

Speaking of "doubling," I finally had a chance to see Kurosawa's
Doppelganger. Nothing against Bright Future (which I've actually come to
enjoy a lot), but this one was surprisingly enjoyable. The editing in
Kurosawa's work seems to become more outstanding (outrageous?) with each
film. I loved the split-screen sequences.

Anno Hideaki's Cutey Honey just came out. I'm really curious about this one.
Instead of contrasting animation and live action like he did in Evangelion,
it seems Anno's trying to combine the two this time. Mark Schilling gave it
4/5 stars. Has anyone else seen it? Here's the web site:
http://www.cutiehoney.com/

Michael Arnold