on the ring remake

Mark Mays tetsuwan
Wed Jun 23 02:44:09 EDT 2004

It is not a remake of Tomie.
Ju-on is the title of The Grudge.

There was a question about Beat's "return to form" from some time ago, I've been away. I'd be willing to return to the discussion if anyone's interested.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Debby Coley
  To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
  Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 1:40 AM
  Subject: Re: on the ring remake

     I have a somewhat naive question about "The Grudge."  I watched the trailer and it appears to be a remake of "Tomie."  I have seen "Tomie: Replay" but not "Tomie".  I believe the Japanese title of "The Grudge" is "Ju-No" or something like that.  Could someone tell me whether or not this is a remake of "Tomie"?  Many thanks!
     deborah coley

  christophe crison <ccrison at hotmail.com> wrote:
    Maybe i was a little too bit too harsh on the verbinsky movie ;-)

    But the movie feels and looks actually too "clean" to me, there's no sense
    of dread in it,

    it could have been a x-files tv episode, but it has no cinematographic scope

    Verbinsky is "yes man" in the industry, a director with no personality; i
    mean from a who made "the mexican" & the "pirates", what can you expect?

    The original ring was no masterpiece either but it had some real scary
    moments. Sound effects were very effective, as in the remake it's all about
    a loud soundtrack...

    Christophe