Nakata and LAST SCENE

Miles Wood diabolik
Wed Jun 23 22:57:06 EDT 2004

Would like to see the interview in SFX, at least his talk about his work with Konuma.

LAST SCENE played the HKIFF and I was seriously underwhelmed by it. It really felt like a TV drama, seeming out-of-place on the large screen of the Cultural Centre, and it didn't look very good either, though when I mentioned the disapponting image quality to HKIFF programmer Jacob Wong he seemed surprised and told me it was shot on film which it clearly wasn't. Was it even intended for theatrical play in Japan?

Miles
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: J.sharp
  To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
  Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 10:23 AM
  Subject: RE: on the ring remake

  Just a quick plug, but there's an interview I did with Nakata in this month's edition of the UK horror/fantasy mag SFX in which he talks about his Roman Porno background working with Konuma and states his general disinterest in the horror genre. I guess there's not many filmmakers who get to make the films they really want to make, and perhaps worth rembering that though an unsubbed DVD exists in Japan, LAST SCENE might as well be called UN-SEEN for all the attention it received by either critics or fans of his more typical work.

  Jasper Sharp
  www.midnighteye.com

  Message sent using Hunter Point Online WebMail