Red Persimmons (E+J)

Mark Nornes amnornes
Mon Mar 1 11:01:46 EST 2004

On Monday, February 23, 2004, at 04:57  PM, Aaron Gerow wrote:

> This may be the first film by Ogawa to ever be shown commercially in
> the US (am I correct?)

Sorry about the previous post. I didn't see Aaron's until afterward.

The key word in his question is "commercially". Ogawa's films were
shown widely during the Sanrizuka days.  But they were through print
swaps and through organizations like Newsreel.  I don't think Newsreel
itself was doing it. Rather, a journalist from SF went to Japan with
prints of Black Panther and Columbia Revolt, etc. and brought back at
least one Ogawa film. Eventually, a politically motivated company
started distributing prints. The old Limbacher catalog ofr 16mm prints
lists it, but the co is long gone.  I talk to many filmmakers and
critics from that era that have seen "airport films", but not that many
associate them with Ogawa.

Since then, JF has distributed prints for non profit showings. Film
festivals have shown subsequent films and retrospectives.

But this is probably the first "commercial showing" in the conventional
sense.