Gaijin perspective.

Mitch Cullin fpunk
Tue Mar 30 10:37:36 EST 2004

"Tokyo Eyes" isn't actually a documentary, so you
might want to scratch it from your list.  However, I
think "The Inland Sea" fits the bill--directed by
Lucilla Carter and adapted from the writings of Donald
Richie.  Also, "Tokyo-Ga" directed by Wim Wenders is
worthy.  Charlotte Zwerin directed a segment for the
"Music for the Movies" series about the composer Toru
Takemitsu.  "AK" by Chris Marker is another one.

--- Joao Paulo Silva <jsilva at contacto3.icep.pt> wrote:
> Hi all Kinejapaners
>
> I've been doing some research on recent gaijin
> perspectives of Japan through documentary film and
> came about with the following list:
>
> Kim Longinotto (Eat the Kimono, Gaea-Girls, Dream
> Girls, The Good Wife of Tokyo, Shinjuku Boys)
> Brice Pedroletti (Knocking on Heaven's
> Door-Kamagasaki)
> Jean Pierre Limousin (Tokyo Eyes)
> Trinh T. Minh-ha (The Fourth Dimension)
> Louis Alvarez and Andrew Kolker (The Japanese
> Version)
> Sue Clayton (Japan Dreaming)
> Chip Lord (Aroma of Enchantment)
> Walter Salles (Japao, uma viagem no tempo)
> Chris Marker (Sunless)
>
> Does anybody remember of other works?
>
> Thank you and best regards,
>
> Joao Paulo

=====
Most recent propaganda (updated when I remember):
http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/tidecull.htm
http://publishersweekly.reviewsnews.com/index.asp?layout=articleArchive&articleId=CA70934&display=searchResults&stt=001
http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2000-11-10/books_set2.html
http://partners.nytimes.com/books/00/09/24/reviews/000924.24lewist.html
http://www.thepermanentpress.com/bookdisp.ihtml?id=303
http://www.fetchbook.info/Mitch_Cullin.html
http://www.corpse.org/issue_8/reviews/phelan.htm
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020613/242/d11q6.html
http://generationrice.com/index.phtml?talk=peterichang_1
http://www.minsky.com/branches.htm

"As the movie industry becomes more like the merchandising industry, the book business becomes more like the movie industry.  There's more pressure.  I think it's very difficult to be a young writer today.  I fear that young writers, after one or two books, will disappear the way young film directors do."  --Don DeLillo