Some interesting comments by Kitano Takeshi

Don Brown the8thsamurai at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 23 21:46:15 EST 2004

At a panel discussion at the Tokyo Filmex film festival on November 23rd,
Kitano referred to a possible sequel to Zatoichi as his "insurance." Here
are his exact comments (or rather my rough translation):
"If I make what I really want to make and it turns out to be a failure,
I'll do Zatoichi 2. It's like an insurance policy. If things don't go well,
I can make a claim on my insurance and recover half the cost."

He also took the opportunity to denounce some of Japan's so-called film
critics, in particular (by inference) the flamboyantly gay TV tarento
Osugi. The two have been known enemies since Osugi gave a scathing review
of Kitano's 1989 directorial debut "Violent Cop," and apparently everything
else he's made since.
Some highlights:

"There's no greater idiot than a Japanese film critic. Some of them are a
disgrace."

"There's even some strange ones who get paid to appear in film advertising
and still call themselves film critics."

"'I was born to see this movie'?! [note: a line used by Osugi in a TV ad
voiceover for a certain film] What the hell? If that's true, then what in
god's name have you been watching until now?"

The quality, or lack thereof, of film criticism in Japan has been
discussed on this list previously, and Osugi perhaps presents the most
extreme example. He's probably the most visible and well-known film
reviewer in Japan due to his popularity as a television personality on
several variety shows, and can therefore be seen to wield a considerable
influence on the filmgoing public, but his reviews amount to little more
than baseless rantings. Worst of all, he has shown no qualms about adding
his (paid) personal seal of approval to film advertising campaigns through
voiceovers or actual appearances in commercials. Despite Kitano's personal
antipathy toward Osugi, I think his comments hit the bullseye.

Don Brown