Japanese influence on horror

Giacomo Calorio cinnamon815
Wed Nov 10 10:47:47 EST 2004

Dear Kinejapaners...
I'm writing a book about Japanese psycho-horror movies, and I'd be glad to
listen your opinions about its influence worldwide in recent years. If Asian
production gave birth to many similar productions after Ringu, it seems the
same cannot be said about Hollywood yet, apart from the very succesful
remakes. I'm wondering whether the cause may be the cultural and religious
background Sadako & c. belong to, which is quite far from western one, or if
there's any specific social reason, or if it's just a matter of genre
tradition, production reasons and audience tastes.
That seems connected to the fact that Shimizu's remake of Juon is still set in
Japan (I haven't seen the movie yet, I just read about that).
Do you think there's been any inflence on Hollywood horrors after Verbinsky's
movies? If so, in what?

Another question (less serious, though)... I'm looking for the first Ring TV
series  (kanzenban), but I couldn't find it at all, while the second one
(saishusho) seems quite eaesily findable on ebay.

Could anyone help me?

thank you very much
giacomo