Japanese influence on horror

Giacomo Calorio cinnamon815
Thu Nov 11 10:07:28 EST 2004

Thank you for your opinions and helpful informations,
Yes, Shyamalan's movies and followers share with Japanese psycho-horror a
similar "fantastic" atmosphere, shifting mysteriously from real to unreal and
leaving characters and audience with a similar sense of uneasiness. Anyway,
they seem more concerned with a final subversion of the point of view, which
leaves characters and/or audience confused about what they believed to be an
obvious one-faced reality (the one of the world described in the movie),
while Japanese psycho-horror (I mean, the most impressive ones) seem to like
a more widespread sense of uneasiness, difficult to understand from any point
of view and impossible to solve.
Anyway, apart from the very heart of Japanese horrors, which is a specific way
of narrating, directing and editing, I thought that Verbinski's movie would
have brought at least, on a more superficial side,  an influence on ghastly
imaginery (though the close up of Samara's ghost's make-up in The Ring is
quite emblematic of a very different imaginery of the ghastly) and that
Sadako/Samara's daughters, with long black hair and unnatural movements,
would have invaded the screens as the did in Asia.

thanks to everybody
giacomo