Japanese film symposium at the University of Chicago, 11/11-14

Michael Raine mjraine
Sun Oct 17 22:45:45 EDT 2004

There will be a symposium at the University of Chicago next month dedicated
to thinking through the "political modernist" Japanese cinema of the 1960s
and 1970s. We'll show films from the period and hold discussions of the
history of independent, political, and pornographic cinema, the films of
directors such as Terayama Shuji and Oshima Nagisa, and the theories of
landscape and historical consciousness developed at the time. Yoshida (Kiju)
Yoshishige will also visit and reflect on the context of his most well-known
films, Eros + Massacre and Martial Law.

The symposium web site is at http://ceas.uchicago.edu/pmconf/. Space is
limited so if anyone is interested in coming, please email the contact
address on that website and we'll reserve you a seat. I don't think I can
attach anything to this message so check the web site for a schedule of the
symposium and other events around Chicago featuring Yoshida (Kiju)
Yoshishige.

Michael Raine
Assistant Professor in Japanese Cinema
The University of Chicago