ozu's 100th

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary at mac.com
Mon Sep 13 01:27:40 EDT 2004

There was a single screening in Tokyo last December on the anniversary
of Ozu's birth.  It opens in Taiwan at the end of the year, with the
"domestic" premiere at the Kaohsiung Film Festival later this month.
It just competed in Venice.

Venice jury member Hsu Feng is interviewed in today's Taiwan press.
Despite her support, neither of the Chinese films - by Hou and Jia
Zhangke - got through to the second round of voting.  She urges Chinese
filmmakers to be more considerate of the audience.

According to the website, it opens in Japan this month.
http://www.coffeejikou.com/index_e.html

Somebody who attended the Tokyo screening has already shared their
comments with the list.  But I can't find it on a quick search.

Stephen