inquiry - depictions of Tokyo

Sari Kawana wittynoya at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Sep 23 21:54:15 EDT 2004

Dear KineJapan subscribers:

Hello, my name is Sari Kawana and I'm a relative newcomer
to the list (I joined a few months ago).  I was wondering
if you could recommend some films with interesting
depictions of Tokyo.  I'm teaching a course on modern
Japanese urban literature, and wanted to show my students
some visual representations of Tokyo from Meiji to the
present.

What I have in mind is something like the scene in _Sada_
in which Sada and her boyfriend talk on the bank of
Arakawa River with a stylized depiction of pre earthquake
Tokyo in the background (the landscape is of course not
accurate, considering the two are supposed to be in the
Arakawa area, but it provides us a wonderful view of the
city).

The class will later also deal with Osaka and Shanghai, so
I'd be greatful for suggestions for depictions of these
cities as well.

Thank you in advance,

Sari Kawana