They all look the same...

Sven Koerber svenkoerber
Wed Sep 1 04:23:45 EDT 2004

> One final comment -- nearly every "set in Japan" Hollywood film has
> disappointed at the Japanese box office, going back to the feature-length
> version of "Shogun," which famously flopped here in 1980.

I wonder how the story goes the other way round: there are some Japanese
movies playing in/about America (Kitano's Brother recently, for example),
but almost all of them simply seem to be of no interest in the States. I
hardly hear about any complaints by the US that a Japanese film (after WW
II) showed unfavorable images of Americans or America itself. (Are there any
?)

And IF a Japanese or other country's film gets some attention, it will be
remade with an all-American cast, where all unfavorable scenes for the
American audience will be "customized".

Sven Koerber