Eigei 412

Aaron Gerow gerowaaron at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 4 05:35:22 EDT 2005

The most recent issue of Eiga geijutsu is out with special sections on
war films and on Okamoto Kihachi. The war film section is kind of
weird: the main essays are by me and the right-wing thinker Nishibe
Susumu (why this pairing?), both mostly about Bokoku no igisu (though I
also talk about Lorelai); there is then the results of a survey of film
people of their favorite war films; and then an interview with Takei
Akio and Kinoshita Masaaki about 1950s anti-war films. The Okamoto
section features a variety of articles on his career, including an
interesting piece on his war films.

Aaron Gerow
Film Studies and East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University