Thank You All

Michael McCaskey mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Fri Aug 26 12:37:00 EDT 2005

Thanks to everyone for many kinds of helpful suggestions, insights, and assistance. What I'm trying to do is compare the following sets of films:

Shall We Dance (Original Japanese Version), written and directed by Suo Masayuki
Shall We Dance (US Remake), starring Richard Gere, Jennifer Lopez, Susan Sarandon
(--with a focus on comparisons of climactic dance scenes in each version)

Ju-On (Original Japanese Version), written and directed by Shimizu Takashi
The Grudge (US Remake), created by Shimizu Takashi and Sam Raimi, starring Sarah Michelle Gellar
(--with a focus on the way Sam Raimi worked with Shimizu Takashi to recreate the original "haunted closet" segment)

Kill Bill, Vols. 1 and 2, created by Quentin Tarantino (focus on vol. 1)
Shurayuki Hime (Lady Snowblood), starring Kaji Meiko
Chushingura, directed by Inagaki Hiroshi
(--with a focus on the snow garden scenes in Kill Bill Vol. 1 and in these two older Japanese action films)

It's for a student audience, so I thought these examples might suit their tastes and interests. With your help, I'll now also be able to provide some comparative reverse examples on Monday, when they ask me about them.

Thanks Again,

Michael McCaskey