attitudes to Ozu

Sven Koerber-Abe svenkoerber at gmx.de
Sun Feb 20 13:00:25 EST 2005

Okay, there may be some points where especially the people here on the
KJ-list don't agree with Hasumi regarding the topic especially about Ozu and
how Non-Japanese could or could not understand Japanese cinema.

I personally don't want to defend Hasumi and his views that much, but what I
have to appraise a little bit is that he tries to break the status of the
big (foreign) names who are seen today as the untouchable writers about
Japanese film, especially Donald Richie. Please do not missunderstand me, as
I am a admirer of the works of Mr. Richie !
But as I made the exprerience many times in discussions and lessons (by
myself and by others, too) that it has become a kind of a final and not even
to be doubted argument that "Richie / Bordwell says it is so ...", I have to
say that it feels like a "vitalizing breeze" in the fields of the talks
about Japanese film when not every single word of the big names I mentioned
above is taken given like a commandment.

Of course, Hasumi sometimes exaggerates little bit and goes in a quite
unfavourable directon with it, but nevertheless I often miss the critic
minds who dare to doubt the words of the "established big names". I wish
more critic words towards them would come not from a big and established one
like Hasumi himself (who still seems to be rooted too much in his job at the
Todai years ago).