Kinema Club V impressions

Wei Ting Jen intewig at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 08:56:44 EDT 2005

Hello,

To add on to what David said, here's my two cents on the conference.

It was my first time attending any sort of film-studies event, and it was
exciting and encouraging, to say the least, to meet a group of like-minded
folks out there engaged in the same field. I had to return to Kansai early
and so only managed to attend the first two days of the conference, as well
as the film center tour.

The film center tour, which involved traveling from Shibuya to Yokohama and
then to Tokyo, was very well coordinated and turned out to be extremely
informative. Kudos to the organizers for the excellent planning despite the
downpour, am surprised we didn't lose anyone :) David's already summarized
most of the first part, so I'll talk more about the Kyobashi visit. There
were three main portions:
1)Film screening of three silent films, two of which starred Onoe
Matsunosuke, Japan's "first movie star"
2)Q&A with Staff member (I believe he was the center's programmer)
3)Tour of the Kyobashi center

This was the first time I'd seen any silent films from the Taisho era, we
watched three films, I don't remember the titles but the first and third
were jidaigeki and I remember being very impressed with the special effects
of that time, the first film for example involved Onoe's character
vanishing, metamorphizing into a giant frog, amongst other techinical feats..
The second was a drama film revolving around a truck driver and his
assistant and what happens when a woman they 'save' from the streets comes
into their lives. I was amazed how well the story flowed and how smoothly it
came across without the use of sound, simply via the actor's expressions,
attention to detail, use of leit motifs, etc.

The Q&A with the film center programmer was very informative as we managed
to learn a lot about the film center's attempts to preserve and archive film
- that compared with other countries they started very late, and suffer from
lack of government funding which looks set to be reduced further. We also
learned about how they select films and the process in which they set up
retrospectives. I also raised the question of the possibility of the film
center teaming up with private foundations in the preservation effort like
they do in the US, but this apparently isn't very feasible.

The last part involved touring the fifth and sixth floors of the film center
- we visited the library and shoko, as well as the exhibition floor. This
really complemented the Q&A I felt, as we were able to understand first-hand
the difficulties of preserving and categorizing artefacts from the past.
Some of the more memorably points I remember: that much of the library's
collection has benefitted from the donations of private individuals, that a
number of "lost" films have been rediscovered recently (e.g. a film of
Onoe's funeral in Kyoto I think? as well as a previously unknown Kurosawa
film), also that Onoe was very short in real life (there was a life-size
cut-out) and had an odd voice (we heard a clip of his voice), I also
remember noticing a rather large homoerotic film poster of two men on a
balcony from the Taisho era and wondering what that was all about...

As for the paper presentations at Athenee Francais - I thoroughly enjoyed
the ones that I attended, but was very annoyed that many of the presenters
didn't prepare sufficient handouts which made it that much more difficult to
follow the discussion. I was very impressed by the breath of topics being
researched and the quality of some of the presentations. A word of advice
for presenters though - eye contact!!! It was very painful when some
presenters just read off their scripts and made no effort to engage the
audience.

Thats it from me for now, its been quite a while since the conference so
forgive me if some of my recollections are a bit faulty...!

cheers
Wei Ting

--
"Of course, it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward, You can
only connect them looking backwards, so you have to trust that the dots will