Japan experimental film info needed

J.sharp j.sharp
Tue Jul 12 05:01:23 EDT 2005

It depends how you define experimental film, but Shunichi Nagasaki, who made
the Ring-inspired film SHIKOKU came from a background of making some
incredibly experimental features in the 80s.

Three directors, whose work is fairly similar, stemming from a completely
self-financed, zero budget background in filmmaking, which I think could be
fairly described as experimental are, of course, Shinya Tsukamoto (Tetsuo et
al.), Kei Fujiwara (Organ) and Shozin Fukui (Pinochio 964, Rubber Lover). If
you watch the recent DVDs of Fukui's work, you can see some of his early 8mm
films.

Also from an indie background is Jouji (or George) Iida, director of
Dragonhead, Rasen (Spiral) and Another Heaven, whose 8mm debut (name escapes
me) apparently was a big hit at Pia Film Festival in the early 80s. Not sure
if I would describe his work as horror or experimental, but its pretty out
there in its own world - as was the director himself when I met him
actually. Nice guy, but slightly eccentric shall we say....

Hope this helps

Jasper

--
Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

===

Available now in bookstores everywhere:
The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film (Stone Bridge Press)
by Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
http://www.midnighteye.com/features/midnighteye_guide.shtml
"Easily one of the most important books on Japanese cinema ever released in
English."
- Newtype USA