Okinawa in Film and Literature

Aaron Gerow gerowaaron
Thu Jul 28 11:01:16 EDT 2005

> The contents of the 2003 festival program are also available online at
> the YIDFF web site in English and Japanese. Here's the address for the
> page on the Okinawa program:
>
> http://www.city.yamagata.yamagata.jp/yidff/2003/cat095/03c095-e.html

What is online is only the description of the Okinawa program in the
main catalog. A fuller discussion is contained in the special catalog:

Ryukyu den?ei retsuden/Ryukyu Reflections, Nexus of Borders. Ed.
Nakazato Isao. Tokyo: Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival,
2003.

This is not on line.

For other discussions of Okinawa in Japanese film, Yomota Inuhiko has a
chapter on the subject in his Ajia no naka no Nihon eiga (Iwanami,
2003). The book Okinawa ni tachisukumu (Serika shobo, 2004) has several
essays on TV and film images of Okinawa. And I have an essay on the
topic in Islands of Discontent (edited by Hein and Selden, Rowman and
Littlefield, 2003). My essay includes a short filmography of important
films.

Aaron Gerow
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies Program
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363