query: films with deaf-mute protagonists

Roland Domenig roland.domenig
Fri Jun 10 06:19:26 EDT 2005

I also guess the film your colleague is looking for is Matsuyama's Na mo naku mazushiku utsukushiku from 1961.

There are quite many films about deaf protagonists. One of the well known ones beside Kitano's "Ano natsu, ichiban shizuka na umi" is Yamada Yoji's "Musuko" (1991) which has also been shown internationally. Lesser known are Obayashi Nobuhiko's "Kaze no uta ga kikitai" (1998), Isomura Itsumichi's "Amemasu no kawa" (2004), "I Love You" (1995) directed by Osawa Yutaka and Yonaiyama Akihiro (who himself is deaf), "Yotsu no shushifu" (1990) by Ohara Akitoshi or the ATG production "Arakajime ushinawareta koibitotachi yo" directed by Shimizu Kunio and Tahara Soichiro. There are also several documentaries about the theme.

Roland Domenig
Institute of East Asian Studies
Vienna University