Self-introduction, and a request for suggestions

Aaron Gerow gerowaaron
Thu Mar 17 09:12:13 EST 2005

> As part of my research, I am trying to find films that try to
> re-create the early 1920s in Japan (or as close to that time period as
> possible), and was hoping to enlist your suggestions regarding films
> that might be helpful.

There are quite a number of films that try to recreate the Taisho era,
to greater or lesser extent:

A number of Suzuki Seijun's films, especially Yumeji.
Obayashi Nobuhiko's Sada (the early scenes even show the Junikai of
Asakusa)
Many of the adaptations of Ranpo's works, from the film Rampo to Oshie
o tabisuru otoko
Hayashi Kaizo's To Sleep so as to Dream
Kewaishi
Eros Plus Massacre
A number of the Toei ninkyo yakuza films, such as the Jinsei gekijo
films
Eiga joyu
Hana no ran
Yoimachigusa

And the list can go on if you want to start including early Showa films.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html