Ring 2 review and J-horror in Esquire

tetsuwan@comcast.net tetsuwan
Fri Mar 18 15:06:32 EST 2005

I was a bit suprised to see D'Angelo's by line on the Esquire piece, since I'd never known him to be a champion of J-horror outside the more avant guarde films like many of the Kurosawa K and Takashi films. When I read the full piece it made more sense, as he suggested that J-Horror films will benefit from being remade by Hollywood. I'll have to ask him about that.

Nakata has said he's been looking for projects to do in Hollywood for some time. I don't think which one really mattered as long as he got in the door. That said, seems as if he can't shoulder all the blame for it being lousy, as he took over an already troubled project in mid-stream, and he's been there, done that.

nakata is now re-directing pang's THE EYE (HK) for hollywood.

s.
----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Nornes
To: KineJapan
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 12:34 AM
Subject: Ring 2 review

>From the Times
http://movies2.nytimes.com/2005/03/18/movies/18ring.html?ex=1111726800&en=2c7ff3dc5f9f2c66&ei=5070

Mr. Nakata has either become tired of the "Ring" premise - a murdered girl haunts and hunts those unlucky enough to watch her on videotape - or something went seriously awry during production. Whatever the case, despite Mr. Nakata's track record and the radiant presence of its star, Naomi Watts, "The Ring Two" is a dud.

amn