Ring 2 review and J-horror in Esquire

Jim Harper jimharper666
Sun Mar 20 06:37:54 EST 2005

I've said myself that some efforts might benefit from being remade (Hideyuki Hirayama's Turn, for example), but I'm really not sure of the benefits of the mass-remake policy. Even the most anti-subtitle, foreign film-phobic of my acquaintances has been quite happy to admit that The Ring and The Grudge were simply not as entertaining as their Japanese counterparts, even though they saw the US versions first.

I understand Nakata's desire to pick up Hollywood projects, but I'm sure he can do better than three remakes (The Ring Two, The Entity, The Eye). Has there been any word on 'Out', his Japanese project?

At least there seems little chance that Kiyoshi Kurosawa will be seduced by Hollywood. If we can only convince Takashi Shimizu to make something other than Grudge-related movies, we might have a working Japanese horror scene... ;)

Jim Harper.

tetsuwan at comcast.net wrote:
I was a bit suprised to see D'Angelo's by line on the Esquire piece, since I'd never known him to be a champion of J-horror outside the more avant guarde films like many of the Kurosawa K and Takashi films. When I read the full piece it made more sense, as he suggested that J-Horror films will benefit from being remade by Hollywood. I'll have to ask him about that.

Nakata has said he's been looking for projects to do in Hollywood for some time. I don't think which one really mattered as long as he got in the door. That said, seems as if he can't shoulder all the blame for it being lousy, as he took over an already troubled project in mid-stream, and he's been there, done that.