耳寄り情報

FUJIKI Hideaki hfuji at info.human.nagoya-u.ac.jp
Fri May 20 02:17:22 EDT 2005

1)ノーネスさんから聞いたと思いますが、下のミシガン大学のHPにプロキノ関係の網羅的資料(牧野コレクションより)と、ハルートゥニアンの序文が加えられたノエル・バーチのかの有名な本の電子復刻版などが掲載されています。
http://www.umich.edu/~iinet/cjs/pubs/cjsfaculty/filmpro.html

2)最近フィルムセンターが膨大なフィルムコレクションを譲り受けたという情報が下にあります。これまで失われていたと思われていた戦前戦中の映画も含まれているようです。

藤木

Many of you will remember that back in February, it was announced that the
National Film Center in Tokyo was acquiring the film collection of the late
Yoshishige Abe.  It was rumored that it consisted of up to 45,000 titles and
that this might be the largest single find of Asian films, many of them
silent and thought to be lost.  Reportedly, Abe and his father had acquired
rare Korean films, including the celebrated 1926 silent, "Arirang," from the
early period of Korean cinema which had been said to have completely
vanished during the Korean War.  His collection was also said to include
many long-lost Japanese silents such as missing Mizoguchi films.  However,
others noted that Mr. Abe was reputed to be an eccentric and rather
mysterious individual who would never show the films said to be in his vast
collection but only a catalogue listing the films he claimed to have.
Consequently, there were a few skeptics who questioned whether the
collection ever existed except in his imagination.  Because it would take a
while to process all this, including transporting whatever films existed to
the archive in Tokyo, it was understood that it might be several more months
before there would be more definite information on the Abe collection.

Not long after this announcement, I began corresponding with a source in the
Tokyo archive who, first of all, confirmed one thing--namely, that Abe
really did have a collection of films although it was not yet known what
works it included.  Subsequently, I learned from the source that the Tokyo
archive was in close contact with the film archive in South Korea, a strong
indication that they had now established the Abe collection did include rare
Korean films from the missing 1923-1937 era--at least, that they had likely
found "Arirang."  Understandably, the film devotees in Korea were positively
ecstatic at the prospect of their national film heritage finally being
recovered.

Last week, the source informed me that on the Friday, May 13 that has just
passed, the films in the Yoshishige Abe collection would arrive at the Tokyo
archive and that the source, along with others in the National Film Center,
would be present at this event.  The archivist told me, however, that the
collection was not the 45,000 number initially given but was about 2,000
films.  That did not surprise me, as I had thought the earlier figure given
was too large.  More disconcerting, though, was the news that the films were
mainly 16mm. prints and might not be so rare.  Since then, I have e-mailed
the archival source concerning what the people present at the National Film
Center on May 13 observed.  I would think there might be markings on the
cans of film indicating their titles or some other kind of information.  To
date, however, I have received no reply from this or other sources.  Nor has
anything appeared in the news or on this board concerning the Abe collection
since the archive took charge of the films last week.

For this reason, I'm posting here to ask if any KineJapan members in Japan,
including those with contacts in the National Film Center, might be able to
provide  to me and other interested people here any new information they
might have on the Yoshishige Abe collection.  It is, of course, entirely
possible that Abe and his father, when they were collecting rare Korean and
Japanese films in the 1950s and 1960s, copied them onto 16mm. and then
discarded the original 35mm. nitrate.  Although archivists have long since
abandoned this approach, it was not uncommon for film preservationists
around the world in those years to choose 16mm. as a preservation format and
simply toss out the 35mm. nitrate.  On the other hand, it is also possible
that Abe's collection largely consisted of 16mm. copies of the more familiar
or standard American, European and Japanese silents and early sound films
that can be found everywhere, with perhaps some of the rarer cut-down (for
home use in the '20s and '30s) 9.5mm. and 16mm. copies of Japanese silents
that have turned up in a number of collections in recent years.  In this
case, his collection would hardly be as remarkable as he liked to claim.
And in the case of Korea, it would be especially heartbreaking if the
imminent prospect of finally recovering some of their early films has turned
out to be a will o'the wisp.  Understandably, many people in the Japanese
archival community might be a bit embarrassed if they were in a sense a
victim of an elaborate hoax perpetrated by Mr. Abe--hence, the reason no
information seems to have been forthcoming since last Friday.

Again, I would be very appreciative if any knowledgeable KineJapan members
could make the proper inquiries and provide the information here regarding
the precise nature of the Abe collection and whether it includes any of the
rare Korean and Japanese silents that it was reported to have back in
February.  No matter how painful the let-down might be, it is essential that
the facts about this collection come out.  More than anything, it
illustrates how important film preservation is and how we must be all the
more diligent in preserving and making more widely available the precious
Asian silent films that have survived the ravages of time.

William M. Drew