taiyozoku eiga

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary at mac.com
Mon May 23 17:24:02 EDT 2005

"Taiyozoku eiga" means "sun tribe films", ie films about rebellious
sexed-up teens as popularised by Ishihara Shintaro in his novels.
CRAZED FRUIT (1956) was the best known film of the genre, which was
scripted by Ishihara as well as based on his novel.  Oshima's CRUEL
STORY OF YOUTH (1960) could be described as an offshoot from the
genre, politicising it.  Yes, parallel things were happening in
French and Japanese cinema, and it has been argued that a "nouvelle
vague" in Japan predated the French one.

Great to hear that Criterion have CRAZED FRUIT.  Someone from
Criterion was in Udine for the Nikkatsu season and I hope he caught
"taiyozoku eiga" SEASON OF HEAT (aka THE WANTED ONES, aka THE WEIRD
ONES) by Kurahara Koreyoshi, since that was for me the discovery of
the week.

Stephen Cremin