CFP: Announcing Kinema Club VII at Yale

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Fri Nov 4 16:22:10 EST 2005

Kinema Club VII
Date: March 24-26, 2006
Place: Yale University

Call for Papers

The seventh edition of the Kinema Club conference in Japanese film and
moving image studies will be held at Yale University from March 24 to
26, 2006. This session will be subtitled “Revival, Regimen and Recent
Japanese Cinema” and will focus on recent trends in Japanese cinema,
especially as they relate to government film policy and film education.
The main guest will be Kurosawa Kiyoshi, film director and professor at
the Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music.

The conference will not be as big as Kinema Club V in Tokyo. There will
only be four or five panels, each with fewer presenters, and none held
simultaneously. We plan to have one panel on Kurosawa Kiyoshi and/or
contemporary Japanese horror cinema, and another roundtable session on
film education and policy; other sessions will present research in
recent Japanese film, television and other moving image media. We
welcome proposals for presentations on any of these panels, as well as
for pre-constituted panels. We would like to make papers for the
Kurosawa panel available beforehand; for other papers we would like
presenters to prepare a one to two page outline for distribution.

Those interested in presenting should send a one paragraph abstract to
aaron.gerow at yale.edu by December 16, 2005.

Anyone interested in Japanese cinema and other moving image media is
welcome to participate. KC VII will be primarily funded by the Council
on East Asian Studies at Yale University, so there will be no
registration fee. We plan to show two of Kurosawa’s films (on March 23,
in a pre-event, and March 25), with the director present, as well as
invite a keynote speaker. Unfortunately, there are not enough funds to
support the travel or accommodations of other participants, although we
hope to have enough buffets to keep everyone from getting hungry.

Any questions or inquires should be directed to Aaron Gerow at
aaron.gerow at yale.edu.

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies Program
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363