Covert dissent in wartime cinema?

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Mon Nov 7 12:34:39 EST 2005

On Monday, November 7, 2005, at 10:34  AM, Alexander Jacoby wrote:

> I'd like to raise a point suggested by Peter's last post, with its
> tribute to two erudite Japanese scholars. I should frankly admit that
> I had not heard of the gentlemen in question

To find out more about Makino, you're in luck. Aaron and I edited a
festrift entitled In Praise of Film Studies: Essays in Honor of Makino
Mamoru.  We published it under the Kinema Club name, as a university or
trade press would never touch a bilingual book like this.

In fact, there are a number of essays that are directly related to this
thread, including Makino on censorship and Prokino, Janine Hansen on
New Earth, Okumura Masaru on the relationship of German and Japanese
newsreels of the war, and the inestimable Peter High on the war movie
Ozu never made.  You can get the book through amazon.

> Has any scholar blessed with fluency in both languages thought of
> producing a volume of selected translations of important articles
> written about Japanese cinema by Japanese scholars?

Actually, there is one, but it's unpublished. I've never seen it, but
Paul Schrader's brother translated a collection of Japanese criticism
way back in, what?, the 1970s. I think the PFA in San Francisco has a
copy.

Markus