Japanese musicals?

mark schilling schill at gol.com
Tue Nov 22 00:22:53 EST 2005

My colleague Roger Garcia of the Udine Far East Film festival is curating a section for next year's edition on Asian musicals, primarily from the 1950s and 1960s. I'm helping him with Japan by screening the films of the usual suspects (Takamine Mieko, Takamine Hideko, Misora Hibari, Kayama Yuzo, The Crazy Cats, Frankie Sakai, Ishihara Yujiro, etc.), but I'm wondering if there are any good books or articles out there, in Japanese or English, I should be mining. There is plenty of writing on music in Japanese films, but I'm more interested in the musical genre per se, or rather the local interpretation of it.

Mark Schilling
schill at gol.com