The Sun

Aaron Gerow gerowaaron at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 6 06:58:23 EDT 2005

> So of course we should use what people themselves
> use rather than strictly following romanization rules.

In general, yes, but sometime I want to write a piece for a Japanese
film magazine giving film people advice on romanization and other
issues. When you see travesties like "Shoujyo" as a release title in
the USA (when "shojo" is now in common use among American shojo manga
fans), it is clear that there are dozens of people using dozens of
different transliteration systems that are only causing confusion. An
individual might have reasons for romanizing his or her name
differently, but I would warn them on several fronts: 1) Libraries will
not use that aberrant rendering; 2) In databases, the aberrant
rendering and the proper rendering might end up as completely different
entries, as if they are different people; 3) it causes problems
whenever anyone tries to be consistent in publication (Joe Shishido may
look OK, but it starts looking odd when as a scholar you have decided
to maintain Japanese name order: Shishido Joe); 4) and frankly, in some
cases, it still stinks of "datsu-A nyu-O", with Japanese trying to
de-Japanify their names in order to seem more Western. Simply put, I
would tell them not to create such names.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html