YIDFF is about to begin! (Re: Romanising names)

M Arnold ma_iku
Fri Oct 7 04:50:06 EDT 2005

While editing the current issue of Documentary Box (#26, available today!),
we ran into a similar problem. One of the artists mentioned in an essay
apparently likes to spell his name a way that isn't accurate according to
standard romanization rules--he adds a "u" to indicate a long vowel in his
name. The YIDFF checked with him and chose to respect his spelling for other
publications, but for Doc Box we vetoed that and used a romajically more
accurate version. We did this for two main reasons: First, Documentary Box
had mentioned him several times in past issues, all in the 'correct' romaji,
and we wanted to be consistent. Second, if someone read our English
translated article and wanted to look this person up in databases or
catalogs, they wouldn't be able to find him in most English resources using
his preferred spelling. We actually did searches in a few U.S. university
libraries and so forth, with both the artist's spelling and the 'correct'
romaji, and every time the 'correct' romaji got hits, and the artist's
spelling turned up zilch. (The U Michigan library site now has a way to
display long vowels with a bar [or macron] over the top. When we searched
for the long o as just "o" there, we did get the o with the bar in the
results, but searches with "ou" did not give us any results.)

Incidentally, zainchi is the theme of the main program at Yamagata this
year, and while working on the official catalog and the zainichi program
catalog (as well as Doc Box, which has a long interview with the director of
the film "Zainichi," Oh Deok-soo) we had to balance different Japanese and
English versions of Korean names and try to iron several inconsistencies in
the English. Some of my colleagues kept telling me that Korean names are all
romanized according to the individual's wishes, and that there are no Korean
romanization 'rules' per se . . . I'm not so sure about that.

Back to Ogata, I don't think the romaji is really intended to replace the
Japanese name or transform the person's name into the English language, but
to approximate how the person's Japanese name is pronounced for reference in
English contexts. It's likely that most people unfamiliar with Japanese
names won't really know how to pronounce Ogata's name whether it's spelled
Issei or Issey anyway, but when it comes to the 'official' name, as long as
there's some consistency in the system it should be a little easier to know
who we're talking about. Personally, I sometimes get the feeling that
English-ish Japanese spellings like Joe, Issey, Kaz, Norico, Casio and so
forth are 'nicknames' primarily intended for use within Japanese language
contexts, aren't taken very seriously, and aren't necessarily intended as
official English spellings for use in English language contexts, but that's
obviously debatable. At least we can say that movie stars aren't necessarily
translators, and may or may not be picking nicknames conscious of the rules
and standards of romaji.

On the other hand, to be honest, in Japan there are times when I play around
with my own name as well. "Michael Arnold" can be more confusing than it
looks. To avoid the questions of Mike vs. Michael and whether Arnold is a
first name or a last name, and, as Jason says, in the spirit of "free will
of someone to call themselves whatever they like," I tell people to
pronounce my name as "Tomu Kuruzu," but for some reason they usually call me
"Furedi Makyuri" instead . . .

By the way, the opening ceremony of the Yamagata International Documentary
Film Festival starts momentarily. I'm here and I'll try to post a short
report or two about the festival if I have time over the next week, but it's
likely I'll be locked up with the staff, translating during most of the
events . . . If any list members are present and want to give me an excuse
to take a break, come on over to the Daily News Office and ask for "Tom
Cruise."

Freddie