Masters of Horror

Stewart Fyfe go_go_godzilla2000
Sat Oct 29 17:12:41 EDT 2005

This series has actually been in the works for a
little while now. I could be wrong, but I was under
the impression that Miike's involvement is a little
more recent. I don't think Mick Garris recruited him
until after Roger Corman and George Romero both bowed
out this summer. ("May" director Lucky McKee and
"Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" John McNaughton
were brought in at this point as well.) Could be wrong
about that, though.

For those hungry for info, I'd suggest poking around
horror news sites. You're bound to turn up something,
such as:
http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=4786
and
http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=4766

I'm sure the whole series will be out on DVD
eventually. The series seems tailor made for the home
market.

Another official site link, maybe better for those
overseas?
http://www.mastersofhorror.net/

The trailer's not yet up for Miike's segment, but the
synopsis says it's about an American journalist in
19th century Japan, searching for a lost love and
finding a mysterious brothel on a dark island.

Based on the Kadokawa Shoten Publishing novel Bokkee
Kyoutee, by Iwai Shimako. Billy Drago and Youki Kudoh
to star.

Hope that helps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/28/arts/television/28horr.html?8hpib