Aien Kyo (Mizoguchi)

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 17:40:33 EDT 2005

Dear all,

Can anyone confirm that the 1937 elusive Mizoguchi
Aien Kyo / Straits of Love and Hate has really been
released on DVD? I think I just saw it on Amazon.co.jp
but I won't believe it until someone confirms it. I
saw this film in Bologna and never expected to see it
again.

If anyone has it, can they confirm the print quality
and if a subtitled option is available?

Best,

ALEX

--- mark schilling <schill at gol.com> wrote:

> As Aaron noted:
>
> >Frankly, many people are scared to use anything for
> fear of being charged
> with
> > copyright violation.
>
> How true! Read the following 0letter Peter Goodman
> sent to Stone Bridge
> Press
> authors announcing the sale of his company to Yohan.
> Here's the nut graf:
>
> ...I thought there were some clouds on the horizon.
> We have carved
> out a niche for ourselves in the "information about
> Japanese pop
> culture" section of the bookstore. As you can
> imagine, that had
> always been a somewhat dark and lonely corner. But
> with the
> mainstreaming of manga and anime, I could sense that
> suddenly what we
> had had mostly to ourselves was going to get rather
> competitive.
> Already Japanese studios were demanding more money.
> And some material
> was now just unavailable, as rights got either
> bought up and
> optioned, or tied up in nasty litigations between
> greedy, warring
> parties. How long could we continue to play in this
> arena? I wondered.
>
> The answer -- find a bigger, stronger, Japanese
> partner, who has the clout
> to deal
> with Toho, Toei and the other rapacious rights
> holders out there, while
> avoiding
> legal minefields. A smart business decision, no
> doubt -- and one based on
> painful experience.
>
> Mark Schilling
> schill at gol.com
>

> Dear Stone Bridge Author:
>
> I am happy to draw your attention to the attached
> press release,
> which announces the acquisition of Stone Bridge
> Press by Japan's
> largest distributor of Western books, Yohan Inc.
>
> I decided to sell Stone Bridge Press for several
> reasons.
> Financially, well, publishing is always a bumpy
> road, but we were
> doing just fine. We kept expenses down, the books
> sold reasonably
> well, and there was very little debt.
>
> But the company had grown, from a single title in
> 1994 to closing in
> on ninety today. With that, managing the company had
> become a lot
> more complex. It wasn't fun for me to fuss with all
> the
> administrative details, and over the past few years
> I had regularly
> contemplated bringing in a business partner so that
> I could be free
> to work more on the editorial and creative side.
>
> Plus, I thought there were some clouds on the
> horizon. We have carved
> out a niche for ourselves in the "information about
> [...]
=== message truncated ===