Questions re Manga-based Japanese Live Action Films

Michael McCaskey mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Tue Aug 15 16:14:45 EDT 2006

I have have been making up an inventory for my film course of major Japanese "live action" films that are based on original manga, but I'm sure I must have left some out. Can people help out and name some more of them? I'm certain I must be missing some very important ones in the list below.

Azumi

Koi no mon

Kozure okami

Nana

Onmyoji

Sanchome no yuhi

Salaryman Kintaro

Shurayuki-hime

Yokai dai senso

The recent Hotaru no haka live action film goes back to the original text by Nosaka Akiyuki, and there's no manga version--there's Takahata's anime, and maybe there's a storyboard book by Takahata.  Ashura-jo no hitomi is based on a play. Does Oshii's Red Spectacles count, since there are one or two related manga, in addition to the Jin-Roh anime?

I'm not including anime based on manga, just live action films derived from manga, not from anime..

Something else I've noticed is that it seems that most of the US "comics-based" live action movies are about various costumed fantasy figures, mostly "crime-fighters," such as Superman, Batman, Spider Man, et al. Yokai dai senso seems to have a few similarities to this US strain, but Miike's Zebraman simply seems to be totally the creation of the scenario writer, Kudo Kankuro.