Questions re Manga-based Japanese Live Action Films

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 18:03:45 EDT 2006

It's an area that I've been considering recently too- I'm putting together an essay/article on recent adaptations of horror manga, with special reference to the works of Junji Ito.

  Good luck with the new unit!

  Jim Harper.

Michael McCaskey <mccaskem at georgetown.edu> wrote:
  Thanks to everyone for so many answers re manga-based films. I had not thought too much about them before, but recently Sanchome no yuhi, Azumi 1&2, and Nana particularly attracted my attention, and then I thought of a few more.

This year I will have a new unit in my contemporary Japanese film course, on manga-based live action films, focused on White-Collar Worker Kintaro, Yokai Dai Senso, Nana, Azumi, Onmyoji, and Onmyoji II.

I wanted to get an idea of how many major films of this type have been made in recent years, since I thought I might be overlooking some significant ones. A lot of my students are real fans of manga, and some have an encyclopedic knowledge of the subject, so I wanted to try to anticipate their responses and reactions in the course.

I had no idea there were so many of these films. You have truly given me a very great deal of good information, which I will collate into a master list over the next week. I hesitate to post that list, since there may then be yet more postings wanting to add many more titles. I will present the list to my students, and I will credit all of you.

If anyone would like to receive a copy of the collated list, please send me a request directly, in a week or ten days from now, and I'll send it back to you directly.

It really might be good for someone to consider writing a book on the history of these films, in light of the long history that Aaron Gerow has pointed out.

Thanks very much, once again, to all of you. This list is really a wonderful information resource.

Michael McCaskey

http://www.flipsidemovies.com
http://jimharper.blogspot.com