Yamagata in Tokyo 2006

Mark Nornes amnornes
Thu Aug 31 08:54:13 EDT 2006

In a couple weeks, the annual Yamagata Film Festival in Tokyo will
start up. An entire month of documentaries shown up north last year.
At least for those lucky enough to live in Tokyo. It's a fantastic
slate of films, many of which are in English subtitles.

For the English language website:

http://www.cinematrix.jp/dds-e/

Check out the link at the bottom of the list. It's for a special
program of classic documentaries celebrating the publication of a
book of interviews conducted for YIDFF's Documentary Box. It's a
fantastic program and chance to see what you could call the core of
the canon, including a rare performance of Matsumoto's For My Crushed
Right Eye with triple projection (I doubt they'll use the magnesium
flares to end the show, tho). What's more, after film discussions
with the likes of Tokieda Toshie, Matsumoto Toshio, Hara Kazuo,
Suzuki Shiroyasu, Tsuchimoto Noriaki, Otsu Koshiro, Oki Hiroyuki,
Tsuchiya Yutaka, and Sato Makoto. Fantastic!

http://www.cinematrix.jp/dds-e/program/documentary_box/

Markus