Kitano/Kijujiro/Buffoon--Addition re Furansu-za

Mark Nornes amnornes
Sun Aug 13 10:45:41 EDT 2006

On Aug 11, 2006, at 8:58 PM, Aaron Gerow wrote:

> A lot has been said about Kitano's life. Kitano has certainly made
> his life a central intertext in a lot of his work, from his
> writings, his TV work to his films. Quite a number of his films
> have autobiographical references that can be important in
> considering the text.

I didn't follow the first part of this, so perhaps this is redundant.
But TV Asahi has adapted the Kikujiro to Saki book in 2003. Earlier
this year, TV Japan showed it (they're finally supplementing the
dreary NHK programming) and I caught a few episodes. Everything is
played over-the-top, and the shitamachi atmosphere is clearly meant
to evoke Otoko wa tsurai yo.  But Kikujiro is no Tora-san. He swings
between endearing madcap comedy and unforgivable brutality. Mom is
about the same. As far as I can see, there is no participation on
KItano's part. However, if there is autobiography built into this,
one is left with the impression of a nostalgia for youth inflected
with the memory of rampant family violence. I found this interesting
for the way it played off my own memory of Kitano's cinema. It's
worth checking out, and if you have TV Japan you can. They are in the
midst of a rerun---Sunday mornings, I believe.

Markus

PS:  Here are two home pages:

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/kikusaki/

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/kiku/index.html