J- Horror and its american remakes

stefanie simon stefanie.simon at gmx.at
Sun Dec 3 08:42:48 EST 2006

Hello!

My name is Stefanie and I'm a student in Vienna, just writing on my degree
dissertation. I got this mailing list from a friend who told me, that you
could help me to solve a few problems concerning my writings.

First of all, I want you to explain my subject: I'm making an empiric study
about the Japanese horror films "The Ring", "The Grudge" and "Dark Water"
and am comparing them with their American remakes. In my film analyses I
want to look how much of the Japanese tradition can be found in their films,
and how the Americans deal with this different tradition in their remake.
I'm also interested in finding formal differences like the proportion
between image and sound, the shot sizes., but also in exploring the
different use of music, dialogue and silence, the different presentation of
the characters in the films especially of the female part, the presentation
of the ghosts, the tradition of uchi/soto, family system and so on.

I hope I could explain it good enough, so you can understand the subject of
my degree dissertation. Now why I am writing to you is, that I hope that you
can help me in finding some literature to these different parts of my work.
It's very hard for example to find something about the Japanese film in
Vienna, but more different is finding something about the Japanese horror
film in special. Although I need for my theoretical part a short history of
the Japanese horror film. You might have some titles of books, which could
help me out of this problem. I only have "The Japanese horror cinema" from
Jay McRoy, its good, but unfortunately not enough. What I also need are
books about specifics of the Japanese society for example the use of
silence, symbols and the difference between the tight social rules and the
detonation of these rules in films like those of the horror genre. There
might also be books about new influences on the Japanese society, especially
for the youth,  that mix up with the existing tradition.

You might also have some advice for me, where I can find differences between
the Japanese horror films and its remakes furthermore.

I would be very thankful if you could help me with your advices and
knowledge in this topic. I'm happy to have the opportunity to write my
concern to you.

Thank you for reading this mail and I wish you a nice day.

Respectfully,

Stefanie Simon.