J- Horror and its american remakes

Michael McCaskey mccaskem at georgetown.edu
Sun Dec 3 15:00:40 EST 2006

Dear Stefanie,

This is the new book on Asian horror films. I've ordered a copy myself, but I've not yet read it, so obviouly I can't express any opinion about it now.

Asia Shock: Horror and Dark Cinema from Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and Thailand (Paperback)
by Patrick Galloway

Paperback: 211 pages
Publisher: Stone Bridge Press (November 1, 2006)
Language: English
ISBN: 1933330120

Another that looks interesting, which I've ordered myself, is:

The Spectacle Of Isolation In Horror Films: Dark Parades (Haworth Popular Culture) (Hardcover)
by Carl Royer, Diana Royer
Hardcover: 120 pages
Publisher: Haworth Press (June 30, 2005)
Language: English
ISBN: 078902263X

This book has nothing special to do with Asian horror--but one of my students is in fact currently trying to write an honors thesis on Japanese horror films, and he has adopted the idea that in many of them, the haunted person/victim is someone who is isolated--such as an only child in a dysfunctional family, a recently divorced or widowed person, a "loner" of some kind. Again, if his idea works much of the time, it may just be because isolation is a factor found in horror films in many cultures and countries.

Regards,

Michael McCaskey