Question about Kinoshita's Rikugun

Peter High peterbhigh2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 00:06:28 EST 2006

antoinette malone <maloneantoinette at hotmail.com> wrote:
Thus, I'm afraid my first post is to ask a question.  I am currently watching Kinoshita's Rikugun and puzzling over the scene in which Tanaka Kinuyo, whilst washing out her yard, breaks down.  She sits down and repeats a mantra under her breath.  Each line begins with "gunjin wa.." and ends with "hitotsu".  From what I can make out it is a list of goals for the Japanese mother in order to produce a "rippana gunjin".

  It is (Emperor Meiji's) Imperial Rescript for Soldiers (colloquially known as the Gunjin Chikugo).
   The "hitotsu" does not END a sentence, it is used to indicate the beginning of each article (of the Rescript, in this case). The term is used in pledges (or announcements of prohibition).
  PB High

http://mail.yahoo.com