KINEJAPAN digest 1750

Michael Raine mjraine at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 3 12:34:08 EST 2006

Ken Shima wrote:
 	If one is going to Japan to study cinema I assume that being in
Tokyo is ideal because of the abundance of theaters and the National Film
Archive. However I’m wondering which colleges would be good to look at
for cinema studies in Japan. Which professors should I seek out and where
are they teaching? How can one see the films held by the film archive? I
will be applying to the Monbukagakusho research scholarship in a few months
but aside from that was wondering how I might be able to be able to spend my
time in Japan focused on cinema instead of teaching English. Does Donald
Richie need a lackey?

American citizens and permanent residents can apply for Fulbright
pre-doctoral fellowships for study abroad. I don't think you need to have a
graduate program lined up but think the deadline for next year has passed.
Waseda, Meiji Gakuin, and Tokyo University would be good places to study if
you can. I don't know whether Donald Richie needs a lackey but he's one of
the most personable people I met in Japan -- he would be a wonderful guide
if you get the chance to meet him.

Michael