Region2 DVD Box Sets

Kumiko Sato satoku
Thu Feb 9 12:01:39 EST 2006

Thank you all very much for your kind help with the R2 DVD search. The
Teshigawara retrospect sounds great. In the meantime, especially for those
who can't easily go to or host film festivals, I summed up the information
I got via KineJapan list about "sets" that come with English subs for the
most part:

Teshigahara Hiroshi no sekai
includes:Otoshiana, Rengoku, Suna no onna, Tanin no kao, Moetsukita chizu,
Summer Soldier, Hokusai, Ikebana, Inochi, Tokyo 1958, Jose Torres, Shiroi
asa, Ugoku chokoku.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000060NCW/qid=1139495966/br=1-1/ref=br_lf_d_0/249-4066211-9739544

Matsumoto Toshio zen gekieiga (is this the one?)
includes: Bara no soretsu, Shura, Jurokusai no senso, Dogura magura
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000185CUE/qid=1139495366/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_10_3/249-4066211-9739544

Shindo Kaneto Anthology 4 vols.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NS2F/qid%3D1139504274/249-4066211-9739544

For individual DVDs, Michael recommends using amazon.co.jp's detailed
search. The new Oshima Nagisa collection (release starting in March) will
not have English subs according to Steven but the contents are: (quoted
from Michael's)
the first box will contain Ai to kibo no machi, Seishun
zankoku monogatari (finally!) and Etsuraku. The second box will contain
Taiyo no hakaba, Hakuchu no torima, and Nihon shunkako. They're produced by
Shochiku, which presumably will release Nihon no yoru to kiri in box #3

Thank you very much again, and have a good day! -Kumi