CFP: Cultural Typhoon 2006

Aaron Gerow gerowaaron
Sun Feb 19 12:56:48 EST 2006

<CALL FOR PAPERS>

CULTURAL TYPHOON 2006 in SHIMOKITAZAWA: ?CITY?

Date: June 30 - July 2, 2006

We are pleased to announce the 4th annual meeting of Cultural Typhoon
which
will be held in Shimokitazawa, Tokyo during June 30-July 2 2006.
Cultural
typhoon is a transnational network of people who are interested in
cultural
exploration in a broader context; those who actually study cultural
theory
and those who are interested in contemporary cultural scenes. This
network
involves people who are not only associated with the academic sphere,
such
as scholars and students, but also those who actualize social movements
through local and cultural industry activities. In attempts to bring
together the academic and social sphere, Cultural Typhoon has held an
annual symposium since its formation in 2003. Through its unpredictable
life course, a ?typhoon? can create, dismantle, absorb and spit out
various forms of energies that may not always be destructive. It can
also
leave behind traces that create new encounters and possibilities. This
powerful image is exactly what Cultural Typhoon envisions. In order to
create such dynamics, Cultural Typhoon has aimed to generate new
critical
thoughts that are connected to various scenes ranging from contemporary
expressive performances, social engagements, to cultural movements, and
create performative practices and presentations that are born from new
point of views and fissures of cultures by going beyond the boundaries
of
formal academic conferences and symposiums, teacher/student
relationships,
and scholar/subject matter hierarchy.

Therefore, this year, we have decided to leave the walls of academia and
enter into the heart of Tokyo; the streets of Shimokitazawa. This year?s
theme will be <City> which represents, first, the actual streets in
which
we are going to hold this year?s Cultural Typhoon, second, the actual
space that Cultural Typhoon throws its question at, and third, the space
that teaches us practical methodology. Above all, <City> is a space
where
massive sky-scrapers are under construction due to the globalizing
market
economy and governmental policies that focus on Neoliberalism. Also,
<City>
is becoming a space where numerous ironies, widening social gaps, and
exclusions are exposed; theme parks are created based on cultural
industries and the demand for images of nostalgia.

At the same time, it is a space where cultural activists and
environmentalists spread their movements against the redevelopment
projects. For this year?s Cultural Typhoon, we would like to observe the
past and present of contemporary global shifts in the space called
Shimokitazawa under the theme <City>. However, theme <City> can be an
open
topic. That is, <City> can be a place where various types of questions,
interests, positions, and viewpoints intersect. As a methodology, <City>
can be a space where various articulations and opinions can mix and
blend
through discourse, which is also the goal for Cultural Typhoon.

The presentation styles are not restricted to conventional academic
style
of paper reading but we also welcome innovative ways of performances and
visual presentations. Also strongly expected is the active
participation of
younger people who have not been able to find an opportunity to express
their ideas and practices in the conventional academic conferences in
which
established professors dominate and organize the academic language and
intellectual exchange.

DEADLINE for Proposals: February 28, 2006
For the details of the session/paper proposal, please visit our website
http://www.cultural-typhoon.org. Download the application form and send
it
along with a 150 word abstract following the guidelines. We will also
invite the proposal for booths set-up from those who are interested in
publicizing books, magazines, CDs, and DVDs or to do various kinds of
performative presentations. Please submit your application according to
your intended activity. As an organizing principle, we will try to be as
inclusive as possible. We will notify each applicants of the acceptance
of
proposal by the end of March.

Please send all inquiries to: secretariat06 at cultural-typhoon.org

We all look forward to your participation in this exciting event.

--
Shunya Yoshimi
yoshimi at iii.u-tokyo.ac.jp
http://www.yoshimi-lab.org/
Interfaculty Initiative in Information Studies
The University of Tokyo