Japanese Pre-War Films in Taiwan?

Ken Shima kenshima
Sun Feb 26 11:38:03 EST 2006

Hello all, I was thinking about the loss of so many pre-war Japanese
films and wondered; since Japan occupied Taiwan during the pre-war
period is it possible that Japanese films thought lost might still
exist in Taiwanese film holdings? My knowledge about how so many
Japanese films were lost is somewhat foggy though I have read that it
was a combination of poor care of the films, the belief of cinema was
a disposable form of entertainment, and destruction of film holdings
during WWII, but to what extent did each of these factors contribute
to the current state of pre-war cinema? Can anyone fill me in or
recommend some books or writings about these topics? Thanks,

Ken Shima
UW Japanese Film Association:
President/Program Director

students.washington.edu/japanflm