Articles/work on modern Japanese horror

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 09:35:59 EST 2006

You're not wrong; there's a lot more out there from the 80s than most people are aware of. It's an important period in the development of the Japanese horror film, since that's when a handful of directors started crossbreeding Japanese and western styles and conventions, even though the practice really only took off in the 90s. Examining the movies from the 80s is an essential part of understanding the late-90s Japanese horror boom in my opinion.

  I hadn't heard of Ogawa Kinya, although a glance at some synopses in the Japanese Horror Movie Database suggests his work would be interesting to see. I'll keep my eyes open.

  Jim.

"J.sharp" <j.sharp at hpo.net> wrote:
  Sorry I can't be of much assistance about this query, but I think the one
thing to say about Japanese horror in the 80s is that there wasn't a lot of
it. There does however seem to have been a treasure trove (not sure if
that's the perhaps the right term) of V-cinema horror releases from this
period, with stuff like Jouji Iida's Cyclops immediately springing to mind.
Much of this seems to have slipped past the Western radar.

http://www.flipsidemovies.com
http://jimharper.blogspot.com